Armed with blankets, coffee and snacks, American Red Cross volunteers spent their Sunday morning with residents displaced by a tragic blaze at a Chelmsford apartment complex.
The fire broke out at 181 Littleton Road and claimed the lives of two individuals. As firefighters tackled the flames, volunteers did their best to comfort residents and take care of their needs. They were able to provide ten residents with emergency funds for food and clothing, while the town put them up in a hotel for the night.
Caseworkers, health and disaster mental health volunteers returned later that day, interviewing more residents from the 24-unit building. In total, volunteers provided 33 residents of 14 units with emergency funds for food, clothing and seasonal clothing. Volunteers helped many track down medication lost in the fire. Residents either stayed in a hotel or with friends and family.
Thank you to our partners in the media who covered our efforts in this tragic disaster. There are ways you can help, too.